Gazpacho- Our Family Recipe
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 small onion (Vidalia or sweet onion preferred)- cut up
- 1 small green pepper, cut up
- 1 ear fresh corn- cut off the stalk, strings removed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 natural sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/3 cup ground whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
In a covered blender at high speed, blend all the ingredients (minus the bread crumbs) in batches, so not to overfill your blender vessel (I personally like a bit of chunk in my gazpacho so I pull out 1/2 cup medium chunked cucumber, green pepper, corn and add after it has been blended. If you like your soup smooth, skip this step) until blended. Put into a large bowl. Fold bread crumbs into the soup, cover and chill.
Because this is a homemade recipe I don’t have a calorie breakdown, but I think a 1 cup serving is probably around 140 calories, its mostly vegetables and is a seasonal part of healthy eating!