Vegetarian Fried Rice
8 ounces organic extra-firm tofu* (fresh bean curd)
1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce (Sriracha sauce)
6 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame (sweet soybeans)
1 cup thinly sliced carrots (2 medium)
1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch-long pieces (2 cups)
1 cup frozen snow pea pods
1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 cups cooked jasmine rice **
1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained, rinsed, and chopped
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
* If you don’t want vegetarian substitute 8 ounce white meat chicken
**If short on time you can use Uncle Bens Ready Rice Brand. For a whole grain substitute use brown rice.
1. Drain tofu well. Cut tofu into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes. In a small bowl combine tofu and chili sauce; gently stirring to coat. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes or int he refrigerator up to 4 hours.
2. Meanwhile, in an extra-large nonstick skillet or wok heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add ginger; cook 30 seconds. Add adamame and carrots; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add asparagus and pea pods; stir-fry about 5 minutes more or until crisp-tender but still brightly colored. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; cover to keep warm.
3. Add 2 teaspoons of remaining oil to the hot skillet. Add marinated tofu to hot oil; fry 5-7 minutes or until crisp on all sides, turning to crisp evenly. Transfer tofu to bowl with vegetables.
4. Add remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to the skillet. When oil is hot, pour in the egg. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and the edges. Using a metal spatula, lift edges of the cooked egg, allowing uncooked portion to flow underneath. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until egg is cooked through but still glossy and moist. Remove from heat. Using the spatula, chop egg into bite-size chunks; transfer to the large bowl.
5. Add toasted sesame oil to the skillet; heat over medium high heat. Add rice. Using a spatula or spoon, break up any chunks; cook rice until grains are coated with oil. Add cooked vegetables, tofu, and egg. Add water chestnuts and soy sauce; stir gently to combine. Heat through. Serve with sprinkle of sesame seeds.
-Diabetic Living Spring 2014
Serving of 1 1/3 cups each
PER SERVING: 283 calories, 12 g total fat (2 g. sat. fat), 318 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 5g sugar, 15g protein.
Print this post