Food and soup should ignite a flavor opportunity for soul, while promoting good health for your body!
A health concern that many people have is to reduce inflammation, which can lead to disease and oxidative damage (which is why we seek out antioxidants). One system-boosting food is dark, leafy greens as in the Kale and Chorizo Soup. They promote better brain health and are packed with folate and phytochemicals.
This recipe includes other health boosting ingredients like olive oil, garlic, and tomatoes. Flavor and all that?!
Kale and Chorizo Soup – Cooking Light:
Serves 8 (serving size about 1 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 oz, dry-cured Spanish Chorizo, diced
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock (I buy organic)
- 3/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 lb. small red potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can unsalted diced tomatoes, drained
- 12 oz. curly kale, tough stems removed, leaves torn or chopped
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, salt, pepper, potatoes, and tomatoes; increase heat to high.
- Bring to a boil. Partially cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale; simmer until potatoes are tender and kale softens, about 5 minutes.