I get up early to workout most mornings, before my kids get up. Then my day often feels like its pace is a dead-run. Around 4:00 PM, my energy begins to wane. Coincidently, that’s usually the time my children complete their homework. What I enjoy at that time, is a cup of hot tea, and to just ‘be’ for a few moments. Decompress. Hear about the stories of the day, and recharge my batteries.
An added bonus is the health benefits tea provides:
- Tea contains antioxidants. Oolong and Green tea provide this.
- Tea may reduce risk of heart attack and stroke. A study found a nearly 20% reduction in a risk of heart attack and a 35% reduced risk of stroke around people who drank1-3 cups of green tea per day. *
- A Japanese study found that tea can decrease tooth loss due to a positive balance of pH in your mouth
- Herbal teas are known to assist in better digestive functions. I use Dandelion tea for this purpose.
- Iced brewed tea if enjoyed without adding sugars or sweeteners is calorie free! I brew, then chill blends of green and Oolong tea every day instead of soda.
I recently tried several varieties from Adagio.com through their sampling offerings. The Peach Oolong and fragrant and satisfying. I love that they provide info on the levels of caffeine and the temperature and steep times for optimal enjoyment for each kind.
Tea is Good for the Heart & Reduces Cancer
American Dietetic Association Spokeswoman, Katherine Tallmadge, MA, RD, LD boldly says, “There doesn’t seem to be a downside to tea. It has less caffeine than coffee, and the compounds in tea-their flavonoids- are good for the heart and reduce cancer.” For me though, it’s not just about the tea, but the life-experience of enjoying a quiet moment with my family.